Monday, July 19, 2010

Information Overload





I've entered the second Week of Study for the written Flight Instructor Rating Exam. So far I've completed 13 practice tests, have read countless sections of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CAR's), and have reviewed most of what I learned for the Private and Commercial Licenses.

My desk and its immediate surroundings are covered by no less than 15 manuals/reference books. Any areas of desk surface free of books are home to a random assortment of essential study 'accessories' - things such as coffee cups and candy bars. Finally, there is a section of my floor occupied entirely by random notes on looseleaf paper that do not have a place anywhere else, but that I'm sure are important in some way.
Yup, I've reached the point of information overload.

It's a better situation than having too little information, especially if the information, as is the case here, is to used by the flight instructor on a daily basis. However, a part of me feels that I could sit here and study until the next Olympics, and still feel underprepared. 'Sigh'. Oh well. I sometimes think about what I would be doing if not studying and preparing for a career in aviation. I can never come up with anything, so I take that as a sign that this is the path for me, and I carry on. Plus, flying is just super fun!

Thankfully I'm able to write the exam whenever I feel ready, which is both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing because I'm not quite ready yet. It's a curse because the procrastinator in me thinks he has all the time in the world to study. Drat!

In any case, I do want to write this exam by the end of July. Once done, I'll be able to focus my attention completely on the Flight Test. Hurrah! Until then, it's back to multiple-choice tests and abundant amounts of caffeine.

No comments:

Post a Comment